Facebook

Monday, March 28, 2016

The right mirrors for dental photography

If you're like me, you've been getting emails for a new fog free mirror system that gently blows air over the mirror and even has a light to make it easier to get good images. Some even have rubber handles on the ends to get a better grip.

Is this a great idea, or is it simply a waste of money?

Anyone who has spent even a bit of time with me knows that my goal is to get exceptionally good images with as little cost as quickly as possible. So, in theory, I am against any "gizmos or gadgets" that can be circumvented with good technique.

I'm a huge fan of two things: Simplicity and functionality. Every mirror should have 4 working ends (2 on each side and the same when flipped over) and should be designed in shape so as to assist you in getting amazing images.

If someone knows how to use retractors and mirrors, and how to set up their flash and use f-stops, they'll get awesome lighting every time, without question. I've never once ever used any additional tools to get more light and with good retraction, I can even get a great shot using just the flash on my iPhone.

This image was taken with one of my occlusal mirrors and my iPhone. No need for fancy gizmos when you have good retraction and mirror use. Learn good technique and great images come fast.

In terms of fogging, all you need to do is run your mirror under hot faucet water for 5 seconds and you'll have a fog-free mirror for the next 5 minutes. Yes, it's really that easy. I show that as just one of the many tricks on my DVDs for clinical photography.

In short, rather than spend the money on a tool that gets around the issue of poor lighting by adding unnecessary light, consider learning how to get great retraction and use the ambient light from the room to get extraordinary images every time.

If you and your team are ready to take the next step towards getting exceptional images every time, consider our starter kit and watch your clinical photography take off without any fancy rubber handles, lights or mirror fans.
The starter kit has everything you need to get started on your way to exceptional images.


As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment